Friday, January 28, 2011

What is up with all the kayaking??

Let me start out by saying I like my new job. I have however realized that working with people who are all around 5+ years younger than I am sucks. They are all so into themselves that they expect me to be into them too. This week we started teaching kayaking lessons in the pool, and having a staff kayak session every Tuesday. Not only are we teaching these classes almost every single person I talk to is obsessed with kayaking. I worked two shifts this week and on Wednesday I was hounded about why I didn't come to staff kayaking. Then today I was hounded again because I didn't go to kayaking lessons. Don't get me wrong I really enjoying kayaking but on my owns terms. I really like ocean kayaking and river/creek/lake kayaking. However, I want to do it when I want to do it. If I am tired I want to sit at home rather than go kayaking. I work every day 8-5 and they want me to go home and put on a swimming suit and come kayak in a pool. All of these people are at least 3 years younger than I am. That means they are almost all freshmen or sophomores which means they probably aren't working to pay for their housing, food, school, and other expenses. This means they have on average 2 classes a day and the rest of the day they do whatever they want except for the 2 hours they work every other day. I am by no means a morning person and at night it is hard to go to bed early so by the time the work day is over I am exhausted! On Mondays I am busy with work/school from 8am to 9pm. Tuesdays I work 8-5 but I am still tired from Monday. Every other Wednesday I have a 6am meeting so if I wasn't tired already I am doubly tired after the meeting. Later on Wednesday I have class and I work until 10pm. When they call Wednesday hump day I have to agree because after Wednesday it is all down hill! Thursday I work 8-5 and Friday I work back to back jobs from 8am to 7pm. As you can guess when the weekend comes around I don't want to do a damn thing. I want to sit and do NOTHING! I want to let the numbing effect of TV wash over me.

Today while I was on my way home for lunch I received an email informing me that there would be a kayak polo game on Saturday morning at 10am. I knew immediately that I would not be attending because it is early and it is on one of the only days of the week that I can get away with not leaving my house all day. It just wasn't going to happen. After I got done working my first job I headed over to my second at 5:00. My shift leader that I really like had switched shifts with this guy that is OBSESSED WITH KAYAKING! Of course the first thing he asks is "Why haven't you come to kayaking this week??" and then "Will you be a kayak polo Saturday?" I of course told him that I didn't have time because I had homework and every other excuse in America and he wouldn't accept it. I also informed him that I would not be at kayak polo. He just wouldn't drop it. Then he talked about how he loves kayaking and how he has gone on all these trips and then he asked if I was going on the lower canyons kayak trip blah blah blah.  I am almost at the point where I just want to say SHOVE THAT STUPID KAYAK UP YOUR... well maybe not. He's a nice guy (some of the people I work with are douche bags) so I don't want to be a jerk but its kinda getting to me. After an hour he asks us which one of us wants to go home and I immediately volunteered. I thought I was free and clear until this happened:

Alex: I will only let you go home if you promise to come to kayak polo on Saturday!
Me: OK I guess I am staying because I cannot promise because I wont be there.
Alex: Well what about coming to one of the sessions on tuesday or thursday?
Me: Ok I will try to be there on one of those days.
Alex: You have to say which one.
Me: Ok I will try to make it on Tuesday.

Then I ran out of there faster than you can say SEE YA WOULDN'T WANNA BE YA!

2 comments: