Thursday, January 20, 2011

What's in a name? and other random additives.

I think I maybe one of those people most people hate. I think I am an "over sharer"! (Imagine that word coming just before a very dramatic BUUUMMMM BUMMMM BUMMMM!) I have found that when I meet new people I spend most of the conversation talking. I talk and talk and talk and they barely get a word in edge wise. I talk about my doctors visits, my graduate school woes, or even looking for jobs. I realize I am doing it too. I think to myself shut up! shut up! shut up! Then I ask them questions about them and try to get them talking but they just answer the question and stop talking. I hate telling my life story to anyone who will listen! I think part of my problem is that I used to be really shy and I really didn't talk to anyone I didn't know. In situations where I didn't know anyone I would just hang out by myself. I guess going to college does help come out of that so called shell, but I'm not sure I like being this too talkative person. This summer we had out high school reunion (I didn't go) but at a different party the same day I ran into an old classmate. He even commented on how much I talked now and how quiet I was in high school. Ugh.


On a slightly different note I think I finally realized why I am so terrible at remembering names. My name is weird. It is said weird, and it is spelled weird. When I introduce myself to someone it goes like this:

Other Person: Hi I'm Amanda
Me: Hi I'm Me
Amanda: Was that Mee or MMe?
Me. No just Me
Amanda: Oh wow what a cool name where did that come from?
Me: My mom mixed two names
Amanda: Oh thats really unique

As you can see by the time this whole conversation has happened it would be hard with someone with ADD like me to actually remember the name. My new thing now to help me remember names is to say them several times in my head after they tell me. Of course that doesn't always work if we are playing 20 questions about my name.

1 comment:

  1. NO truer words have ever been spoken sister. That is such a good point that has NEVER occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete